iPhone 6: OtterBox or LifeProof?
OtterBox has been the number 1 selling protective iPhone case for many years now but have LifeProof finally got the case to take the number 1 spot? Well there are few significant advantages to both cases so I guess it will depend on which matter to you most.
Main OtterBox Defender Case Advantages:
- Price; the Defender comes in almost $15 cheaper
- Strength; just my opinion but it feels the stronger, more rugged of the two
- Belt Clip; comes as standard in the box, it's a $32 add on with the LifeProof Fre case
Main LifeProof Fre Case Advantages:
- Waterproof; down to 2 metres for up to an hour, this is something the OtterBox just can't offer
- Slimmer; although only a few millimetres you can really feel the difference in your hand
- Lighter; not just by a little either, the LifeProof Fre case for iPhone 6 is 35 grams, that's half the weight of the OtterBox Defender and it's easily to feel the difference
Conclusion: should you buy the OtterBox Defender for your iPhone?
Yes, we think you should on the grounds that price is important to you and waterproofing isn't. Also, the if you need a Belt Clip holster then it's hard to say no to the OtterBox Defender.
Is it really that strong?
To put it to our own test, we wrapped a brand new iPhone 6 into a OtterBox Defender case and dropped it from a first floor window onto concrete paving slabs and we are happy that it survived, well I certainly am, it's my iPhone 6! We weren't satisfied with that so decided to drive over it with the car, not a little dinky smart car either, a BMW M3 that tips the scales over 1500kg and with very chunky rear tyres. If you want to know what happened, check out the video here, it's worth a watch if you are considering the OtterBox Defender.
What's in this video?
Here we compare the LifeProof and OtterBox side by side to show your major differences, they are both great, but both different.
If you've decided the LifeProof Fre Case is for you, buy it from us here in Australia - LifeProof Fre Case iPhone 6
You can click here to get straight to the OtterBox Defender iPhone 6 Cases
We hope you found this helpful, please leave a quick comment if you did so we can make more comparison videos and we would love to hear your OtterBox survival stories!